We are hiring an Aquarium Manager. If you are passionate about marine ecosystems and education, please review the posting below.
About the Discovery Passage Aquarium
The Discovery Passage Aquarium offers fun and unique hands-on educational experiences for people of all ages. Come to see, touch and feel our incredible local marine species and habitats and discover the diverse marine life of Discovery Passage and Islands. The Aquarium is open from spring until fall each year. Specimens from representative local species are collected from the marine environment in the spring and returned to the area of collection at the end of the season.
We aim to be an inclusive, learning organization with progressive hiring practices. We value our employees and volunteers and provide ongoing opportunities for professional development.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Discovery Passage Aquarium Manager is responsible for all operational aspects of the Aquarium, including guest experience and animal health. We are seeking a team player, with experience in animal husbandry, and a commitment to providing an exceptional guest experience.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- University degree or technical diploma in Biology, Environmental Science or a related field.
- Management experience in non-profit organization, including working with a board and supervising volunteers.
- Experience in community-based science education.
- Experience in aquatic animal husbandry, basic accounting and marketing are an asset.
- First Aid and CPR Certification.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of coastal ecology and diversity.
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit/ voluntary organizations.
- Knowledge of all federal and provincial legislation applicable to voluntary sector organizations including employment standards, human rights, occupational health and safety, charities, taxation, CPP, EI, health coverage.
- Knowledge of human resources, financial and project management.
- Effective oral and written communication.
Terms and Conditions
- Hours (per week): 35-40
- Term: Full time from early-May to mid-September 2018. Schedule to be determined, but will include some evenings and weekends. Part-time hours available during February, March and April.
- Pay: $20/hour, plus vacation pay.
Submit Applications by January 31, 2018
Complete job description is on the Discovery Passage Aquarium website – www.discoverypassageaquarium.ca.
Please send resume, cover letter and any supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.