The Discovery Passage Aquarium offers educational and interpretive programs for residents, schools and visitors highlighting the fascinating marine life of Discovery Passage and surrounding waters. We are currently seeking up to four summer interpreters to provide fun and unique hands-on educational experiences for visitors to our seasonal aquarium.
Hours: Up to 37.5 hours/week including weekends and some evenings. May to September.
Location: Campbell River, BC
Reports to: Aquarium Manager and Senior Interpreter
Job Posting Introduction
Are you outgoing, upbeat, and full of curiosity? A creative and enthusiastic communicator, with a strong interest in the marine environment, natural history and conservation? If so, you might like to join us as an interpreter/aquarist this summer.
- Deliver one-on-one interpretive education programs and tours while maintaining guest satisfaction through interactive and enthusiastic programming for all ages
- Deliver interpretive programs for school groups and daily public events
- Sales and cashiering
- Assist in the supervision of volunteers, provide a rewarding learning experience for them
- Communicate animal handling protocols to volunteers and guests
- Maintain appearance of building, interpretive props and materials
- Provide a safe and positive work environment
- Assist in maintaining exhibits with live animals and provide high quality animal husbandry
- Cleans tanks and removes specimen mortality
- Prepares and distributes feed for the specimens
- Adjusts water flows and air supply
- Records water quality measurements
- Other duties as required.
- Education in biological science, marine biology, zoology, education or similar preferred
- Knowledge of local intertidal and subtidal marine life
- All candidates must complete a criminal record check with Discovery Passage Aquarium
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Animal handling, and interpretation experience
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Experience in customer service
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Creative, professional, friendly, flexible and proactive in problem-solving
- Current Level 1 First Aid certification with CPR-C an asset
- Language skills – e.g. French, German, Spanish, Kwa’Kwa’la
This position is dependent on funding approvals.
Due to funding requirements, these positions must be filled by students meeting the following criteria;
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
- have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year (2016-17) and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year(2017-18)
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and
- be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
Please send your resume and cover letter to Christine Kleinsteuber, Aquarium and Explorer Lab Manager at email@example.com by April 10, 2017. Thank you for your interest in the Discovery Passage Aquarium! Only those selected for an interview will be contacted, however, we thank all applicants for their submissions.