The Aquarium Wet Lab Educator will assist with developing and delivering marine natural history interpretive and educational programs for the Discovery Passage Aquarium and Wet Lab. This will include hosting birthday parties, summer camps, and other programs for the general public. The Educator will engage with program participants and visitors, conduct demonstrations and deliver specialized programming. This will also involve program promotion and recruitment.
Hours and Location of Work
Hours of work will be variable, depending on programs scheduled, and may include evenings and weekends. Weekly hours may vary between 30-40 hours per week. Rate of pay is $12.50 per hour.
The Explorer Lab is located in Campbell River, BC.
2 positions are available.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of the Aquarium Wet Lab Educator will focus on development and delivery of a variety of programming opportunities in the Discovery Passage Aquarium Wet Lab. This will include the following tasks:
- Deliver new and existing programs in the wet lab for groups of all ages, including families, children, adults, and seniors
- Develop new programs and related materials for delivery in the lab and in intertidal locations
- Promote new and existing programs via the website and a variety of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube)
- Promote and host birthday party events Provide excellent care and husbandry to live animals in the care of the wet lab, including cleaning tanks and preparation of feed, live and frozen
- Assist in the supervision and training of volunteers
- Administrative duties of the wet lab including processing registrations, program tracking and reporting, data entry, computer data analysis
- Maintenance and cleaning of the wet lab and educational materials, including the aquaria, and associated equipment
- Attend community events as a representative of the Discovery Passage Aquarium Society and support programming activities of the Discovery Passage Aquarium, as required
- Other duties as required
- Post-secondary education in a field of biology, marine biology, education, tourism or related field is preferred
- Level 1 First Aid with CPR-C is an asset
Skills and Experience
- Computer skills including Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and email
- Existing knowledge of local marine biodiversity, species, life history and habitats
- Excellent interpersonal communications, presentation and public speaking skills are required
- Creative, professional, friendly, flexible and proactive in problem-solving
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Team leader, team player, crafty and enjoy the outdoors
- Experience developing and/or delivering educational programs to youth of all ages an asset
- Familiarity with social media promotional opportunities
- Knowledge in blogs and website posting an asset
- Photo and/or video taking, posting and printing as required
To be eligible, students must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
- have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year(2016/17) and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year(2017/18)
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and
- be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
- Complete a criminal record check for Discovery Passage Aquarium
Please send your cover letter and resume to Christine Kleinsteuber, Operations Manager at Christine@discoverypassageaquarium.ca by April 19 2017.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted, however we thank all that apply.