The Discovery Passage Aquarium offers educational and interpretive programs for residents, schools and visitors highlighting the fascinating marine life of Discovery Passage and surrounding waters. We are currently seeking a summer interpreter to provide fun and unique hands-on educational experiences for visitors to our seasonal mini aquarium. This role will also include using technical skills to run the aquarium.
Do you have mechanical, carpentry, plumbing, or electrical skills? Do you love fixing things? Are you an enthusiastic communicator, with a strong interest in the marine environment, natural history and conservation? If so, you might like to join us as the technical aquarist and interpreter this summer.
Hours: May to Sept 2017, up to 40 hours/week including weekends, early mornings, evenings and holidays. Additional hours may be available for fall and winter clean-up.
Location: Campbell River, BC
Reports to: Aquarium Manager
- Learn all aquarium maintenance and operations from the Manager and the volunteer technical team
- Assist in maintaining exhibits with live animals and provide high quality animal husbandry
- Tank maintenance and specimen mortality removal
- Collection, preparation, and distribution of Feed for specimens
- Maintain water flows and air supply
- Record water quality measurements
- Clean and maintain the facility including building, interpretive props, equipment and materials
- Deliver one-on-one interpretive education programs and group tours while maintaining guest satisfaction through interactive and enthusiastic programming for all ages
- Sales and cashiering
- Assist in the supervision of volunteers, provide a rewarding learning experience for them
- Communicate animal handling protocols to volunteers and guests
- Support the team and report directly to the Aquarium Manager
- Provide a safe and positive work environment
- Other duties as required.
- Education in a technical program, biological science, marine biology, zoology, education or similar
- Practical hands on skills in maintenance and basic repair
- All candidates must complete a criminal record check with Discovery Passage Aquarium
- Current Level 1 First Aid certification with CPR-C is an asset
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Animal handling and interpretation experience
- Language skills beneficial – e.g. French, German, Spanish, Kwa’Kwa’la
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Creative, professional, friendly, flexible and proactive in problem-solving
- Knowledge of local intertidal and subtidal marine life
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Experience in customer service
This position is dependent on funding approvals.
Due to funding requirements, these positions must be filled by students meeting the following criteria;
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
- have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year (2016-17) and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year(2017-18)
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and
- be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
Please send your resume and cover letter to Christine Kleinsteuber, Aquarium and Explorer Lab Manager at email@example.com by April 10 2017. Thank you for your interest in the Discovery Passage Aquarium! Only those selected for an interview will be contacted, however, we thank all applicants for their submissions.