On Saturday, February 5th, 2022, from 10:00AM to 3:00PM, the Discovery Passage Explorer Lab will be hosting a casual, drop-in open house for teachers, educators, volunteers, and the public to come and learn about the wonders and capabilities of our ocean-learning space.
This is a great opportunity to connect with our Aquarium staff and discuss programming opportunities for school groups.
The Explorer Lab is not as well known as the Aquarium, however unlike the aquarium, it IS operating year round!
We use the Explorer Lab for just about everything that the aquarium is just a little too small for. This space features:
- Full-size classroom & learning space:
- Tables & Chairs for academics and crafts
- Microscopes & microscope projector
- Mobile, flat-screen TV
- Puppet theatre & Storytime corner (for the younger pupils)
- Sophisticated wet-lab:
- Touch tanks & observation tanks for use during programming
- Plankton sampling equipment (for use with microscopes)
- Fully operational, recirculating aquarium displays, featuring animals suitable for touch tanks & observational study
- Also used as an animal hospital in the summer!
- Large, open tables for interaction with preserved aquatic specimens, shells, & curios
During this open house, we will have several small events that will be happening over the course of the day:
- 12:00PM: Animal feeding demonstration in the wet-lab
- 1:00PM: Plankton tow off of the Discovery Pier & plankton demonstration in the classroom
- We will also have crafts & touch tanks available on the classroom tables all day!
The Explorer Lab is located at 621B Island Highway, across the parking lot from the Discovery Passage Aquarium. Our doors are to the left (south) of the main entrance of the Maritime Heritage Centre.
We hope to see you there! In the meantime, have a sneak peek at one of our favorite animals currently in the lab!